Monday, October 8, 2007

Kwara state

Facts: Kwara state is close to Osun state, as well as Jebba. It comprises of several ethnic groups, including Yoruba. Its capital is Ilorin, and the present governor is Governor Bukola Saraki. The spoken languages in the state include English, Yoruba, Labari, Batonun and Nupe/Tapa.
Experience: I went to Ilorin to visit my cousin for her birthday, and spent about five hours on the road from Lagos. We passed through Oyo state, and Osun state, through the following towns and cities, (in no particular order) Ogbomoso (Osun state), Ibadan (Oyo), Iwo, and parts of Ogun state.
There were several towns and quaint villages along the way, and as it was a regular route for transporters, the people were ready to offer several products for sale. Many items like yam tubers, large snails, freshly plucked tomatoes and pepper, ripe banana and plantain bunches, dodo ikire (fried plantain coated in fried pepper stew - really delicious!), fried beancakes (akara), roasted yam slices, and other by products from the farm. Processed products were also offered, like Gala (beef rolls), plantain chips and other packaged products.

To get to Ilorin, I boarded an old peugoet 505 station wagon that took only six passengers. Fortunately for this blog, unfortunately for my body, the car did not have any shock absorbers, so I had a really bump ride to Ilorin, made worse by the fact that by the time we got to our destination, I wanted to ease myself so badly that I didn't even argue with the driver and just found a place to sit while I called my cousin to pick me up.

Ilorin is a beautiful place. Almost all the roads are dualized and there are several sites to visit. There are several lodges, hotels, and motels, but the crown of all in the city is the prestigious five-star Kwara Hotels. It is located near the Government House and Ariya Gardens. There are other places to visit, like Water View, Brunch Cafe (they make the most delicious fried gizzard, garnished with pepper y pepper sauce, and before I start drooling let me move on), Royals (a first class eatery that satisfy your every need. They even have a machine that churns out espresso, coffee, tea, green tea, cappuchino and many other things), Ostrich, and of course the usual Mr Biggs, Tantalizers and Sweet Sensation eateries.

Ilorin has Kwara state Fire Service HQ, a quaint old building, and a museum. There are various mosques and churches that you can attend. For me, I attended the Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), and I was hooked. Its a cozy church that is youth- and business-inclined. Its at Tanki.

Weather: They have what they call the "total weather day". It comprises of a lovely morning, a scorching sunny afternoon (I do mean scorching, as the sun was biting my skin. Seriously.), a cool evening, and a rainy night. By the third day, I was thinking that I need to buy sunscreen.

Did I mention the lovely accent they have? I love the flow and undulations and the way they role their vowels around their tongue. Its another way of speaking Yoruba, which is a general language in the city. Then the town is host to the University of Ilorin which has been in existence since the 1970s. There is also an international airport, but is temporarily not functional for international routes, only local flights.

I spent a week in Ilorin and got to see most of the town. Most of the prominent banks have branches there - I saw ETB, GTB (two branches), Intercontinental, Zenith and Oceanic Banks.

I spent one thousand and five hundred naira to trave to Ilorin, and spent seven hundred naira to take a bus back. The journey took five hours back to Lagos.

So if you ever have the chance to visit Ilorin, make sure you have fun like I did!

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful Tale U got there! I happen to be graduate of the University of Ilorin and I can say u gave a detailed account of the town.Also,I do attend COZA and its a cozy place where God is worshipped in grand style.Ur trip is just a typical one.Nice article

    ReplyDelete
  2. i attend coza too,coza is now in abuja...international conference center every sunday 9;00 am...come meet with God through his vessel pastor biodun

    ReplyDelete
  3. COMMONWEALTH OF ZION ASSEMBLY (COZA)....no razzle, no dazzle no razzmatazz... come join us every SUNDAY @ the international conference center ABUJA every sunday 9:00 am

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. am bayo,
    coolerthanhim@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice journal u got there. I felt like i was on tour with you. i hope to visit Ilorin too!
    glad you like COZA, i attend COZA in Abuja. Nice living church where the Spirit of God undoubtedly dwells and where friends worship God in liberty! Bless you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Pls do Coza have a website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. COZA is the place to be.dey will take u there

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi.....
    I am a member of COZA Abuja.
    Just like you all said
    COZA is the place to be.
    A place were u feel cozzy in God's presence and you feel Him like never believe me.
    I speak from experience.
    As for the website its coming real soon.
    You can attend any of the services.....
    1st service..7.30 am or the 2nd 10:30 am.

    You will not regret it. at all.
    Remain Blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God does the not Choose the qualified vessels, he rather qualifies the choosen vessels. Pastor B is a Man of God that shares an Excemplary Esprit de Corp! I discovered that God is using him to confirm the wise. Am not a member of coza because am committed to a ministry as a Drummer but I always appreciate Pastor B because of what he has passed through. Personally, I know what I have went through in Life but there is One assurance I have in God and it's in the book of psalm, it says " I was young and now am old I have never seen the righteous forsaken nor his children beg for Bread". I believe this Word and it has been working for me. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What can I say? Coza is a destiny enhancing church. All I did was give them few months of my life and when I saw results, trust me I reinvested back the rest of my life

    ReplyDelete
  12. ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    is d place

    ReplyDelete
  13. i am telling you it cant be any one than God who led me to Coza... you cant imagine the dramatic change and turnaround i have experieced ever since i joined the family few months back, yesterday service was just another boom, pst we love you and the best is yet to come, you will surely reap me very soon, because of me people will envy you..prescily reuben.

    ReplyDelete
  14. there is no place to be like COZA. you are sure of receiving the unadultrated word of God. when next u visit Nigeria plsease locate the Common wealth of Zion Assembly (COZA). @ International Confrence CentreICC Abuja-Nigeria . Rose Ejike-Abuja-Nigeria

    ReplyDelete
  15. cozanigeria.org...taking over generation

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! all you need do is to give coza a trial... the rest will be history!! its the wealthy place to be. bradadadada.........

    ReplyDelete
  17. www.cozanigeria.org..... This is the website for COZA. God's word works! I am a testimony of what God has done through this great ministry under the teaching of God's generals Rev. Biodun and Pastor Modele Fatoyinbo. Have a filled day checking out the website... SHALLOM.... NOTHING MISSING, NOTHING LACKING, NOTHING BROKEN! (From: Irene Obaseki nee Rone-Scott)

    ReplyDelete
  18. never known a better church,were you are told the highly concentrated truth about your life without criticism, but with love and encouragement, teaching you about the unlimited access to mercy and potency of grace. its the place ehere friends meet friends and all meet Jesus, a place were everybody is somebody.

    ReplyDelete
  19. COZA is the place to be. i luv that church with the whole of my heart. COZA is not just a church, it is life, it is hope, it is the abode of God on earth. i love pastor biodun, pastor modele, pastor wole, pastor flow, minister ken etc, they are just awesome folks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad this post meant something to a lot of people. And I admire the COZA family for their drive, energy and ministry to God's people nationwide.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete